Sunday, October 5, 2008

creative writing idea by nicole krauss: great sayings

My last post in this series on creative writing ideas from Nicole Krauss is about her ability to produce great sayings / aphorisms / maxims.

One day the main character, Leo Gursky, is looking out of the window. Just contemplating the sky. Then he thoughts on this situation about himself, with a good sense of humor: 'Put even a fool in front of the window and you'll get a Spinoza' (p. 6).
This scene reminds me of one episode ffom my own life. One night being a boy of about fifteen I didn't sleep at night. So I just got up and stood in front of the window thinking about something. Later, my father told me how he saw me standing in 'such a philosophical posture', as he put it.

One more saying, reminding me of my troubles with my son. 'Perhaps that is what it means to be a father - to teach you child to live without you. If so, no one was a greater father than I.' (p. 262)

2 comments:

  1. Jacob,
    I think every good book has a few good sayings, has it not?
    So what's your point?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy,
    right.
    I am just talking about what struck me personally.

    ReplyDelete